Friday, December 12, 2008

My Life As A Movie...(rant).

Hello all.

Today was rough. Talk about some interoffice drama, or whatever the hell you would call it.

My day today had to make the top ten list of "Worst Days Ever". It all unfolded like this:

I wake up around 8AM, quickly get dressed and go wake up my mom, because she was coming with me. Today was supposed to be my pre-op appintment, and maybe it was, but it sure itsn't how I imagined things going today. We leave the house at 8:45, and arrive at the doctor's office at 9:25, five minutes to spare to quickly get into the waiting room. A nurse takes my weight and height (I gained like 4 pounds! Stupid stress of finals). The appointment goes quite well until I start asking about the details of where I need to be for my surgery. A doctor calls the surgeon that is performing my LapBand surgery, and she takes time out of her day to meet with me, which was very nice. It was reassuring to see her, comsidering my surgery is four days away (or at least I hope so). So the surgeon sits down, and asks my mom if she is doing well. Then, as if I were in my own movie about my life, I hear these five words.

"I have some bad news . . . " **My breath is caught in my throat** "We cannot perform the surgery on the 16th." **Drop atomic bomb now, and begin babbling brook of tears**.

For whatever reason, the assistant surgeon called last night and was like, "Yeah, can't do it." And I've been on the surgery board for 4 MONTHS!!! It's not like I called last week and was all "Yes, I'd like to get surgery next week, can you pencil me in?" NO, I was on the board for 4 MONTHS!!! And it irritates me because he canceled 4 friggen days before? Oh hell no! Meanwhile the other surgeon is talking to me, but I swear it's like a movie. She was talking, but I zoned out and only heard mumbles. The world became blurry for what felt like forever. I've never cried so hard in my life. I would have rather been not accepted for the surgery, than for them to be like, "You're accepted, but just kidding we can't do it until the 31st of December." I was angry, sad, drained and above all frustrated. I mean, c'mon...I failed my accounting class for the doctor appointments. I wasn't about to get pushed back another 2 weeks. I thought my mom was going to blow a gasket. I felt like I was being let down, and I didn't matter to the assistant surgeon. It SUCKS!

So my psychologist, mr. head of the program, goes AWOL on everyone's ass, and the shit really starts to hit the fan. I could tell he was just as mad as we were, and that he was on my side. And I really appreciated that. He was making calls and pulling strings like it was his job, oh wait it kinda is...in dire emergency like this. And he went straight to the top. What now bitches, mr. head of the program calls up his pal, the 2nd in command and guess what....he's on my side too! It made me happy to hear that he would press for the 20th, if the surgery couldn't happen on the 16th.

Long story short, my physchologist calls me up and is all, "I'm 95% sure it'll be on Tuesday. Don't hold me to it yet, because we still have to contact a few people, but as on now plan for Tuesday. I'll call you on Monday if that changes."

Seriously, I left the hospital at 3:30pm. I spent six hours of my life there. And as if it wasn't enough, I cried enough tears to grow an abundance of crops with. I wish I could have known what was more important than me. Because it better have been good like: E.D., a death in the family or a pipe bomb in my basement toilet. Or maybe something crazy like he's attending a trekkie gathering or something that at least is more valuable than my health.

Okay, enough ranting. I hope I didn't scare you away, but you did read this far. I applaud you for reading this far. It was a very weird, rough day. I should really be my own Discovery Channel Special, because this kind of stuff only happens in the movies.

Cross your fingers!
-Me.

No comments: